:: Re: [DNG] Predictable Network Inter…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Noel Torres
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Predictable Network Interface Names - Stupid or good idea?
On Saturday, 9 de January de 2016 11:41:27 Anto escribió:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> I have just rented a KVM VPS. I started with Debian squeeze, pin
> everything related to systemd to -1, then upgraded to Debian wheezy.
> After I upgraded udev to version 220 using eudev, I could not connect to
> my VPS any more after reboot. This has never happened on my other VPS'
> but they are all Xen-PV based VPS.
>
> It turned out that the eth0 interface was changed to ens3, due to the
> implementation of Predictable Network Interface Names
> (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfa
> ceNames). I can change everything which contain eth0 into ens3, but I
> prefer to keep the old interface naming. So my temporary solution is to
> add
> net.ifnames=0 into the kernel command line.
>
> I have been indoctrinated myself that everything come from systemd gang
> are stupid and bad. After reading the above link and some other pages
> from systemd supporters, I think I might have to change my mind about
> that Predictable Network Interface Names idea. But I am not entirely
> sure yet. What do you guys think about that?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Anto

Predictable Network Interface Names are a good idea. Really wonderful, as long
as they are Really Predictable (TM).

Really Predictable means that if you predict eth0 it will be eth0 and not
ens3. That is: it MUST NOT affect existing interface names on upgrades.

Regards

er Envite, back from the grave