:: Re: [DNG] FW: support for merged /u…
Góra strony
Autor: Didier Kryn
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] FW: support for merged /usr in Debian
Le 05/01/2016 19:06, Rainer Weikusat a écrit :
>           During the last half of 1971, we supported three typists
>     from the Patent department, who spent the day busily typing,
>     editing, and formatting patent applications[*], and meanwhile
>     tried to carry on our own work. Unix has a reputation for
>     supplying interesting services on modest hard- ware, and this
>     period may mark a high point in the benefit/equipment ratio; on
>     a machine with no memory protection and a single .5 MB disk,
>     every test of a new program required care and boldness, because
>     it could easily crash the system, and every few hours' work by
>     the typists meant pushing out more information onto DECtape,
>     because of the very small disk.

     I remember DECtape. The first computer on which I seriously worked
and developped Data Aquisition programs was a PDP15, equipped with one
or two DECtape drives. These were large and rather short tapes which
were formatted like disks. It was fun to watch the tape moving nervously
back and forth between the two small wheels.

     Didier