著者: Didier Kryn
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] FW: support for merged /usr in Debian
Le 05/01/2016 16:29, Rainer Weikusat a écrit :
> Didier Kryn<kryn@???> writes:
>> >that needlessly complicates things.
>> >

>> >     Hey Stephanie.

>> >     The simple fact of splitting executables between two different
>> >directories*is*  a complication; merging them back would be a
>> >*simplification*  :-). I've read, from a guy who followed the story,
>> >that it was originally split because the first disk was too
>> >small.
> Quoting something Rob Landley (who has certainly no more experience with
> stuff that happened in the first half of the 1970s than I do and possibly
> less) wrote as gospel is not such a good idea. There's a paper by Dennis
> Richtie, "The UNIX Time-Sharing System" published in 1974 (AFAICT, it's
> not on Landley's "list of computer history sources" list) which states

>     The PDP-11 has a 1M byte fixed-head disk, used for file system
>     storage and swapping, four moving-head disk drives which each
>     provide 2.5M bytes on removable disk cartridges, and a single
>     moving-head disk drive which uses removable 40M byte disk packs.

>          [...]

>     In our installation, for example, the root directory resides
>     on the fixed-head disk, and the large disk drive, which con-
>     tains user's files, is mounted by the system initialization
>     program

> And considering this, the "ran ouf of space and mindlessly duplicated
> all the stuff onto a new disk" hypothesis is at least questionable when
> considering this as the 'fixed head disk' was a small, expensive,
> 'high-performance' storage device and the moving head disk a large,
> cheap and slow one. Which suggests functional reasons for the split:
> Keep the stuff needed by everyone (and the swap space) on the fast disk
> and use the slower one for 'individual users files'.

     Good find Rainer. But I don't fully understand what you mean by:

> Keep the stuff needed by everyone (and the swap space) on the fast disk
> and use the slower one for 'individual users files'.

     Do you mean the applications in /usr/bin aren't used by everyone?
Or they don't deserve to be launched quickly? For me the only reason why
they were not on the small fast disk is that this disk was full, ant it
was full because it was small. Therefore, maybe Rob Landley is giving
wrong details (or he refers to a later setup), but the reason he gives
for the split makes full sense.

     I'm not denying that the necessity, or an advantage, of a split has
persisted for decades. On the contrary, I find it interesting to know
that this necessity showed up at the very begining.

     The split is a complication; and a complication should only exist
for a good reason. Therefore I think it is a sane attitude to question
this good reason.

     Didier