:: Re: [DNG] Question about the merged…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Simon Wise
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Question about the merged repos
On 05/01/16 10:45, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> On 05/01/16 11:33, Daniel Reurich wrote:
>> On 04/01/16 06:52, Go Linux wrote:
>>> Why are you merging the debian, backports and dmo repos? Is there
>>> a way to separate them? I have rarely used backports and always
>>> downloaded what I need from dmo when I first install and then
>>> disable it. dmo can really break things if you're not careful.
>>
>> We are currently merging dmo - was mostly done as a test for
>> amprolla. I can ask nextime to remove that if it is causing breakages
>> or other problems.
>>
> Update: I have raised an issue about no longer merging dmo. There are a
> bunch of other reasons for removing it as well - but I won't discuss
> them here.

Presumably the very same reasons that always prevented debian from including the
convenient stuff in dmo in the first place (and caused mint to have a couple of
versions). Users must add them independently if they wish too ... perhaps via
dmo if that repo covers their needs, or via applications offering .deb downloads
directly from their site.

But aside from that look at the long long history of debian multimedia issues,
users complaining of sudden breakages in debian packages, fixed by "remove dmo
and load the debian libraries that the package was built against instead".

Perhaps also the very very problematic relationships involved, over a very long
time.

Simon