:: Re: [DNG] GNOME3 and Co.
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Mitt Green
A: dng@lists.dyne.org
Asunto: Re: [DNG] GNOME3 and Co.
Bryan Baldwin wrote:

>...does have dependencies on Gentoo's default init
>system, OpenRC, and some other bits and
>pieces.

I don't really understand, why a desktop environment
depends on a initialisation system.

>But, if there were a desire within Devuan
>to package GNOME 3, this could be a good place
>to start. It will at minimum
>show you where your changes should go in the GNOME 3 codebase.

I reckon, the approach is "huh GNOME3? No,
not really, hey, you want this? Ok, maybe one
day, but not today."

>If you hate GNOME, [...]

I don't really hate GNOME3, but I still have
somewhat a bitter taste of it from my experiences
with CentOS 7 in particular and short Fedora
sessions; I think it is really an unstable piece
of (software </censorship>), comparing to my
all-time favourite Xfce. Do we really need
animations, CSS and JS in a DE, overview mode
and huge icons of programmes there?

What I strongly dislike is the way it is
packaged in Debian.

>or don't want to try to
>support code from developers
>who are deliberately ignoring the systemd-free
>community, I couldn't
>blame you ;)

GNOME3 is by the way a Red Hat product,
I reckon, they deliberately push the dependency,
so we can face their desire to control the whole
Linux world one more time and keep
BSDs out of the game (remember Poettering
thoughts on Berkleys?). It brings the taste again.

My two puint worth and a free (as in beer)
tinfoil hat,
Mitt