:: Re: [DNG] GNOME3 and Co.
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Bryan Baldwin
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] GNOME3 and Co.
On 01/05/2016 06:26 AM, Mitt Green wrote:
> Yours truly wrote:
>
> >I think that Gentoo people (and Funtoo) don't experience problems we
> have, like
> >patches, messed and missed dependencies that change over and over;
> >I mean, their packaging system is simpler.
>
> Most of the time the problem is package maintainers that use horrible
> dependencies,
> which causes what we have: incompatible versions (see "merged repos"
> thread and
> experience Sid/Unstable/Ceres updates) and systemd conquista.
>
> My €0.02

While portage is simple, the drawback is that each system you build with
it is its own snowflake. You'll realize this as soon as you try to
distribute artifacts amongst many different systems.

The patchset I linked:

https://github.com/dantrell/gentoo-project-gnome-without-systemd

Does have dependencies on Gentoo's default init system, OpenRC, and some
other bits and pieces. But, if there were a desire within Devuan to
package GNOME 3, this could be a good place to start. It will at minimum
show you where your changes should go in the GNOME 3 codebase.

If you hate GNOME, or don't want to try to support code from developers
who are deliberately ignoring the systemd-free community, I couldn't
blame you ;)