:: Re: [DNG] Question about the merged…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Irrwahn
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Question about the merged repos
[Sorry, Golinux, replied to you directly by accident,
post was intended to go to the list.]

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 16:53:39 +0000 (UTC), Go Linux wrote:
> On Mon, 1/4/16, Irrwahn <irrwahn@???> wrote:
>> How do you receive updates and security fixes?
>
> I generally don't. 'If it works, don't fix it' especially when it comes to complex media stuff.

Fair enough.

>> While I can well understand your stance
>> on the 2.5.* --> 2.6.* Avidemux changes, there is not
>> much one can do, except finding someone capable and
>> willing to maintain the old GTK version (or even do it
>> yourself, if that's an option).
>
> Or find another video editor (ugh)

Ugh indeed, don't get me even started. That's why I didn't
mention that option. :]

> or just keep wheezy and Jessie working for the duration.
> At my age it's a question of whether avidemux Gtk will outlast me or I'll outlast it!

While certainly no longer a youngster, I wish I could say the same. :>

>> I decided to let go and let it R.I.P.
>
> It was great while it lasted, wasn't it!! It took me days to to find all the deps and build the latest version from their git sources to fix the alsa default lockup (which required commenting out a line in a source file). Once I got it working I realized there was no cross fade in the qt version!! The dev's excuse was 'It's not easy to do with the 2.6 codebase'. How can anyone edit without a crossfade??

And that's only one of the great new 2.6 "features". While
I understand the motivation to rewrite a thoroughly rotten
code base (let's face it, Avidemux never was an extraordinary
stable piece of software), I never got my head around them
dropping essential features and filters even the most
simplistic video editor should provide, and then go and blame
the shiny new code base. In my book, that's kind of backwards.

> FWIW. Avidemux builds ffmpeg into the app so doesn't require outside source. dvdstyer OTOH does require external ffmpeg.

Oh, great, even more fun! :P This all reminds me how I had
to build MPV from source on a regular basis. Luckily, this
was an almost trivial task, thanks to the MPV folks. (And,
since it carries its own versions of the ffmpeg libraries,
gets around a good portion of the usual dependency hell.)

> Thanks for the detailed response. It was helpful if only to confirm what I suspected. At least I'm set for the next couple of years . . .

It was nothing. I keep my fingers crossed, may it last as long
as you hope for. :)

Best regards
Irrwahn