:: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initra…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initramfs capabilities
Le 04/01/2016 17:32, Svante Signell a écrit :
> On Mon, 2016-01-04 at 16:53 +0100, Didier Kryn wrote:
>> Le 04/01/2016 16:26, Hendrik Boom a écrit :
>>> I meant
>>       Maybe Gentoo does this, although I'm not sure, but the philosophy
>> is very different: they compile everything from source. And it doesn't
>> install as smoothly as Devuan.

>>       In Devuan it means something very unusual: the installer must first
>> install gcc, generate a config file and compile the kernel. It is not an
>> easy task to generate a working config for any hardware combination. The
>> resulting kernel package would be local and couldn't undergo upgrades.
> Just an idea: Would it be possible to detect the hardware of each computer being
> installed on and after that install the needed modules? Preferably the modules
> should not be located on /usr, currently they are under /lib.

     I don't understand the repulsion towards having the modules in
/usr/lib. What difference does it make? None, unless you want the three
following conditions: no initramfs, /usr being a mountpoint, some
drivers and filesystems compiled in the kernel, but missing just the one
for /usr. You've got to work pretty hard to fulfill these conditions.

     Didier