:: Re: [DNG] FW: support for merged /u…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Didier Kryn
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] FW: support for merged /usr in Debian
Le 02/01/2016 19:06, Steve Litt a écrit :
> But there's a solution: Initramfs! Cool! Except that initramfs is one
> or two more orders of magnitude more complicated than executable
> splitting. So the slight simplification of merging directories buys you
> a huge complication of initramfs black-boxism.

     Merging directories and initramfs are two different things. You can
have one with or without the other. The great possibilities offered by
initramfs have a counterpart: they are more painfull to develop, because
you need to re-compress the initramfs and reboot for every try.

     The only thing initramfs provides here is /bin and /sbin before
*any* disk partition is mounted - not only /usr. Note you can as well
have a /usr in the initramfs (that's what I've done for my embeded
Powerpcs). I don't know why they want to mount /usr while in initramfs;
I don't see any advantage.

     Didier