:: [DNG] GNOME3 and Co.
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Mitt Green
A: dng@lists.dyne.org
Assumpte: [DNG] GNOME3 and Co.
Well, the list is named Debian (Devuan?) is Not GNOME,
still, what are the plans towards it?

I have been playing with Debian GNOME3 installation but
upgrading from Stable to Unstable was a disaster, APT
wanted to remove everything from the system,
including systemd, even though it didn't know Devuan
repositories then.

There are tons of packages to build GNOME3 that
contain libsystemd0 dependency, so each time
new GNOME arrives, we have to rebuild them all.

Also, who will use it? People here tend to be
conservative minimalists, and I am not sure
if someone will care about it.

There is Cinnamon as well, contains much less
packages at all and those that require systemd.
But, I reckon, it is even less popular than its elder
brother.

By the way, TDE (trinitydesktop.org) does not
need systemd to run, and was working
great in my installation, they have builds for
Stable and Testing/Unstable. And even complete
and bloated setup has much less packages
comparing to GNOME.

Mitt