:: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initra…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initramfs capabilities
On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 18:35:29 +0000
Rainer Weikusat <rainerweikusat@???> wrote:

> Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:

> > Why does everyone think I was advocating the banishment of
> > initramfs? Go back to my initial post and you'll see I was
> > suggesting a way to give the owner/admin a *choice* to go without
> > initramfs.
>
> You already have that choice, you just need to exercise it: Compile a
> kernel which can mount 'your' root filesystem without the help of
> additional userspace software, be it for loading modules or for
> additional configuration, and use that: No initsomething needed.
>
> In fact, that's exactly the configuration I've been using 'since
> ever'.

Where can I find documentation on how to do this? The last time I
compiled a kernel was probably in the 20th century, so I imagine things
have changed.

You mention that you recompile your kernel. What do you do every time
apt-get upgrade brings you a new kernel? Do you re-recompile? If so, do
you have some sort of file containing all your choices so it's easy?

How do you tell your kernel not to load an initramfs?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28