:: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initra…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Steve Litt
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initramfs capabilities
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 09:08:37 +0000
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> If your root fs does not change every five minutes, you can have a
> custom kernel with ext4 and a few other drivers compiled in, and get
> rid of initramfs altogether. Then, the usage that has been done of
> initramfs in the last few years is just an overkill, IMHO.

This was exactly my point. Why can't Devuan put the ext4 kernel module
and the few other drivers for ext4, on directories directly off the
root partition, plus the stub of an rc file to bring the thing to the
mounted state. This would make Devuan the only distro giving the user
an easy choice of initramfs or not.

Personally I'd do it for ext2 and 3 too, but I'm not greedy: If you
give them this capability for ext4, soon enough you'll have a
groundswell of people wanting it for 2 and 3, and it will be
prioritized.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28