:: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initra…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Mitt Green
À: KatolaZ
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initramfs capabilities
KatolaZ wrote:

>Thanks for pointing CRUX out Mitt. However, installing from sources is
>probably not what an average Devuan user would like to do :)

I'd like to point that from an end-user perspective installing software
is not much different from even Debian:

1) user adds a repository (because most of the software is in community
repos) and marks it in the config file;
2) user updates info about the repositories, usually using 'prt-get update';
3) user installs software using 'prt-get install'.

prt-get was made to mimic apt-get (as well as with slapt-get
in Slackware and pkgin in pkgsrc).

>I think that there is no real alternative to initrd/initramfs for a
>general-purpose kernel, as those included in the install image of a
>distro. At the same time, nothing prevents a user from compiling and
>installing her own preferred kernel, with or without initramfs.

What prevents devs (kernels packages' maintainers)
from compiling a kernel without initramfs support? (:

Peace,
Mitt