:: Re: [DNG] FW: support for merged /u…
Góra strony
Autor: Micky Del Favero
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] FW: support for merged /usr in Debian
Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:

> This *is* poetterization, regardless of what Sun or anyone else did
> before. It's supported by Freedesktop.org, and I think everyone here
> can agree that anything Freedesktop supports is anti-init choice,
> anti-simplicity, anti-modularity, and pro-systemd.

So anything freedesktop.org supports is a bad idea a priori only because
freedesktop.org supports systemd even if the same idea somebody else has
years ago before systemd?
For me this is a religion war drives by the same forma mentis of
poettering's: "#notabug #wontfix because it works for me".

> Hey, I'll be the first to admit that sometimes you need an initramfs.
> Maybe you have LUKS plus LVM plus software raid. Merge or not, you'll
> need to compile yourself one heck of a kernel to avoid needing
> initramfs. But for the very prevalent use case of Ext4, no raid, no
> LVM, no LUKS, no silly merge, and a few partitions, initramfs is as

Againg you're acting as poettering: if I've a system like yours with
ext4, without any raid or lvm or luks I can boot my system without
initramfs, if I have a different setup I'm a heretic man to be
converted.

Will Devuan become the universal operating system that Debian pre
systemd was or it'll only be the opposite of Debian?

All my servers disks are formatted with xfs, on a lvm lv over raid
volume, all my computers disks are formatted xfs, on some computer I
also have luks volumes.

I can recompile the kernel so all needed modules are static compiled in
kernel, and all users that want a different setup than ext4 without
raid, lvm, luks or whatever, is it really what we want forcing users to
recompile kernels on a machine like yours to be able to boot their boxes
only because you don't like initramfs?

Maybe merging /bin in /usr/bin isn't a good idea, maybe it's, I cannot
see any problem merging /bin in /usr/bin, Solaris made it many yars ago
and it hasn't systemd and overall it runs without problem due to
merging, I also think that using initramfs is possible also having
separate direcroty for /usr and /usr/bin, as it's now.

> Initramfs does have one big benefit for the Poetterists: It provides a
> dark, safe place for them to start up their megacomplexities and call
> it magic. Oh, there are tools with which you can periscope into
> initramfs, but have you ever really looked at everything in an
> initramfs? It's a jungle in there. Just right for the Poetterists to
> incubate their plague.

years ago i've built a cluster of diskless servers that network booted
using a initramfs filesystem, it's not so obscure, I admit it wasn't
trivial to made the initramfs, but was simpler than you can think.

Ciao, Micky
--
The sysadmin has all the answers, expecially "No"