:: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initra…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Rainer Weikusat
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initramfs capabilities
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> writes:
>>> Of course, but I presume that we're talking about a kernel that will be
>>> distributed by Devuan. If you build in hardware drivers for all
>>> different types of hardware, the kernel gets somewhat big IMHO ;-)
>> Some signals crossed here. I was trying to explain that "a distribution"
>> has to use initrd/ initramfs because of problems specific to
>> distribution kernels but that individual users don't have to use this
>> mechanism if they don't want to because they can just compile a kernel
>> which will work with their hardware (which is usually rather static).
>
>     There might be an optional kernel featuring sata, scsi and a few
> popular filesystems. That would match the vast majority of cases.

SCSI is a protocol for accessing storage devices. ATA is also a protocol
for accessing storage devices. SATA is ATA over a single cable (instead
of sixteen parallell cables). There's also SAS (serial-attached SCSI).
But all of this still doesn't get anyone anywhere as drivers are needed
to work with individual SATA or SCSI or SAS controllers. There's a de
facto standard SATA hardware interface called AHCI (defined by Intel)
which only needs an AHCI driver module but there are all kinds of other
SATA implementations not conforming to it. Nothing similar exists for
SCSI/ SAS interfaces.