:: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initra…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: richard lucassen
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initramfs capabilities
On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 18:42:08 +0000
Rainer Weikusat <rainerweikusat@???> wrote:

> > Plus the drivers for various hardware like cciss devices, just
> > having ext4 built in is not enough. Wouldn't it be better to have a
> > simple initramfs with just the apropiate modules for the hardware?
>
> No computer I've either been using privately or professionally ever
> suddenly grew a new motherboard (simplification) overnight. Hence,
> they're all running kernels with the drivers and filesystems necessary
> for booting compiled in.

Of course, but I presume that we're talking about a kernel that will be
distributed by Devuan. If you build in hardware drivers for all
different types of hardware, the kernel gets somewhat big IMHO ;-)

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
aloud and remove all doubt.

| Richard Lucassen, Utrecht                                        |