:: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initra…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Rainer Weikusat
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initramfs capabilities
richard lucassen <mailinglists@???> writes:
> Rainer Weikusat <rainerweikusat@???> wrote:
>> > Plus the drivers for various hardware like cciss devices, just
>> > having ext4 built in is not enough. Wouldn't it be better to have a
>> > simple initramfs with just the apropiate modules for the hardware?
>>
>> No computer I've either been using privately or professionally ever
>> suddenly grew a new motherboard (simplification) overnight. Hence,
>> they're all running kernels with the drivers and filesystems necessary
>> for booting compiled in.
>
> Of course, but I presume that we're talking about a kernel that will be
> distributed by Devuan. If you build in hardware drivers for all
> different types of hardware, the kernel gets somewhat big IMHO ;-)

Some signals crossed here. I was trying to explain that "a distribution"
has to use initrd/ initramfs because of problems specific to
distribution kernels but that individual users don't have to use this
mechanism if they don't want to because they can just compile a kernel
which will work with their hardware (which is usually rather static).