:: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initra…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: John Rigg
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initramfs capabilities
On Fri, Jan 01, 2016 at 12:26:41PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> If / is formatted ext4, it can be mounted directly by a kernel with ext4
> drivers, no initramfs needed.

Wasn't the original reason for having an initrd that the boot loader,
probably LILO at the time, couldn't handle a kernel image above a
certain size? (My recollection could be faulty here, so corrections
welcome).

I still use a separate /boot partition, formatted ext3, with grub-legacy
(which couldn't work with ext4 last time I checked). Grub2 is bloated
enough to make me uncomfortable so I won't use it unless I have to.

John