:: Re: [DNG] meta-comment re. build sy…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] meta-comment re. build systems
On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 15:51:10 -0500
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@???> wrote:

> A follow-up question: What, if anything, do you guys include in the
> way of init scripts?
>
> [My current observation is that systemd's biggest impact on my
> operation is that it kind of breaks some sysvinit scripts, and not a
> lot of people include systemd configs. Hence, my aversion to
> updating my current Debian installation, and why I'm looking at
> Devuan and a few other options for my next, and overdue, major update
> to our production servers.]

I include no init scripts because most of my free software shouldn't
run at boot. If I ever *did* create something that should be run at
boot, I'd probably provide a run script to be run with daemontools,
daemontools-encore, runit, or s6. I'm pretty sure one run script
would service all of those.

I would not supply a sysvinit init script because those thing are
deadly, and I'm not a big fan of sysvinit anyway. I would not supply
OpenRC init scripts because those things are deadly, and I don't want
to get involved.

NOTE: Because of my special relationship with Devuan, I'd of course
help Debian's people to make a sysvinit script for my program.

I might be persuaded to supply an Epoch daemon config
section, with the boot and stop order defined by constants the user
or distro must configure. I don't feel confident telling anyone what
order their daemons should come up in, although of course I'd let them
know of any other services that must be operational before mine comes
online.

I wouldn't supply a systemd unit file because I don't drive on that
side of the street, and because the incredibly intelligent and astute
systemd enthusiasts, especially the ones inhabiting debian-user, assure
me that it would be trivial for them to make a unit file for my
software.

And you can take this to the bank: I will never, ever, EVER include in
my code that silly proprietary crap to tell systemd that my service is
ready for interaction. First, my stuff comes up in milliseconds, not
minutes. Second, if I *were* to make a system to tell the init system
that my service is ready to rock and roll, I'd either code my own that
runs on ascii characters (and very few of them), or just use Laurent
Bercot's method of sending a linefeed to some file or fifo or whatever.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist