:: Re: [DNG] Windowmaker: was Proposal…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: John Rigg
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Windowmaker: was Proposals for an xfce-desktop-lite
On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 10:51:47AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> What's needed is a
> good document to really explain the Windowmaker philosophy, how to do
> things in Windowmaker, how to configure it so you don't need to
> create a million menus to drill down, and how you set a hotkey to
> perform an arbitrary command (like dmenu_run).

I've been using WindowMaker on all my workstations and desktops since
Debian 2.2 (15 years now). Here's my document:

_____

Right click on icon in top right corner to show launch menu for WindowMaker
graphical configuration tool. Launch tool. Scroll sideways to section you
want. Configure. Save.
_____

That's it. Older versions needed manual text editing (which I'm guessing
is where the problems occurred), but in recent Debian-packaged versions
the config tool works well and is extremely easy to use.

First thing I do on a new WindowMaker install is reduce the icon size to
24px with the config tool. Then I set background and theme using the menu.
Next I fire up the config tool again and set up menus to my taste (menu
items can launch any command you'd otherwise use on the command line),
disable irritating icon animations, and disable any keyboard shortcuts
that conflict with those in the GUI apps I use. Done.

John