Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Proposals for an xfce-desktop-lite
On 29/12/15 04:37, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 11:16:17 +0100

> Your subject intrigues me. There are 2 reasons I prefer LXDE to Xfce:
>
> 1) LXDE is much lighter
> 2) LXDE is more reliable
>
> If you can really lighten up Xfce, that addresses #1, and probably to
> some extent alleviates #2. I believe lighter usually corresponds to
> less bugs, or else I'd be using Redhat. Or Windows.

note that the raspberry pi lot worked very carefully to put together raspbian as
extremely light and minimal for a very small cpu but intended to be used by
linux noobies as well as others. They chose lxde, it runs with very little extra
baggage and is a very familiar style of interface, the default setup is to use
startx from the console only when X is required, or add it to rc.local if a
desktop and monitor are wanted.

No idea what they have done now they use a bigger chip and have moved on from
their old default install.

Simon