:: Re: [DNG] Proposals for an xfce-des…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Proposals for an xfce-desktop-lite
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 21:30:44 -0500
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> I installed LXDE into my devuan alpha 2 system, but I do not know how
> to ask for it. My system boots into a green login screen and when I
> log in it starts me off with xfce instead. In the old days when I
> ran Debian, it would start with a login screen where I could find a
> menu and select a window manager.
>
> I'm arguing for discoverability here.

:-)

I've gotten so used to knowing that you put "exec lxsession" in
your .xinitrc (so startx starts LXDE, there's a different file for
starting from a display manager), that I forgot that yes, people
shouldn't need to rely on folklore handed from father to son to be able
to run their computer.

I think Devuan uses a display manager, and that display manager
*should* have a hoverable icon of some kind that lets you pick your
wm/de. Neckbeard that I am, I kinda wish you didn't have to hover
everything on the screen to discover where you want to go next.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist