:: Re: [DNG] Proposals for an xfce-des…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Hendrik Boom
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Proposals for an xfce-desktop-lite
On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 03:04:35PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 14:49:04 -0500
> Mitt Green <mitt_green@???> wrote:
>
> > golinux wrote:
> >
> > >I specifically asked what should be REMOVED from the default xfce
> > >desktop
> >
> > Nothing. Xfce even lack necessary components like pdf viewer and a
> > file archiver (xarchiver is not their project right? They had squeeze
> > back then but it's no longer maintained now).
>
> This is something I never understood. Why expect your window
> manager/desktop environment to give you functionalities? Why not
> install them a-la-carte to get the exact system you want?
>
> As a matter of fact, putting functionalities in the wm/de makes it more
> likely they'll get entangled with irrelevant stuff like dbus,
> PulseAudio, and systemd. I mean, if your wm/de already uses this stuff,
> why not incorporate it in your functionality in some silly way, perhaps
> to gain a feature nobody even wanted.
>
> I'm a fan of a-la-carte myself.

So the default window manager should come up with an xterm, and a menu
with only one entry that will show us a README file that shows a file
explaining our recommendations for what packages to install for what purposes.

That would clue the beginners in, minimally.

And it might actually work!

-- hendrik