:: Re: [DNG] Proposals for an xfce-des…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Mitt Green
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Steve Litt
Υ/ο: dng@lists.dyne.org
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] Proposals for an xfce-desktop-lite
>This is something I never understood. Why expect your window
>manager/desktop environment to give you functionalities? Why not
>install them a-la-carte to get the exact system you want?

Steve,

I only suggested what should be installed by default
and included on a proposed LiveCD. I think that
a "desktop environment" should provide something more
than a panel and a window manager
(think of GNOME2).

Using your logic (correct me if I'm wrong) we should not include
any applications by default that are not provided
by Xfce and/or stick with a window manager (twm let's say),
mc, tmux and some Motif based image viewers.
We can go even further and not provide a DE by default
which is by the way is not that bad idea, assuming it is
quite common in BSD world (quite common, huh,
no major BSD uses DE by default) and count also
easiness of package management system.

So, if ye ask me, I'd drop a DE by default.
There will be no questions about default software.
No software = no questions. Just GNU userland
(coreutils I mean), wpa_supplicant+dhcpcd
and vi/nano or whatever may Gods bless them.

cwm and xstatbar are cool.

Mitt