:: Re: [DNG] Dng Digest, Vol 15, Issue…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: David Harrison
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Dng Digest, Vol 15, Issue 85

On 21/12/2015 16:30, dng-request@??? wrote:
> "I despise it when people don't behave according to established norms of
> my cultural background" isn't really any better ...

Isn't it? I'll rise to that lure, even though it adds to a rather dull
apres-troll debate.

I assert that it's fine to decry piss-poor behaviour.

A person can be powerless over their origins, original social
class/caste, sexual orientation, cognitive development, and all the
rest. Taking issue with these factors is pointless and just plain spiteful.

I assert that how someone treats others is another matter entirely. It
involves some personal choice, and is therefore open to comment.

How certain are you that Mitt's complaint was based on some cultural
assumption, the very existence of which you seem to disapprove? Or that
an opinion derived from a culture is automatically wrong?

Or could the complainer, perhaps, have seen a behaviour, considered it
from several angles, and decided it's a bad thing? Then exercised their
right to say so?

Devuan sprang from a fierce disagreement over how people should treat
others, and against a decaying establishment. A consensus was reached
that a certain group's behaviour was wrong, and that something had to be
done to counter it. The Devuan community, therefore, embodies cultural
debate, simply because it tries to do things differently to Debian.

If we can't wrangle over what is acceptable behaviour within our own
community then let's throw in the towel, stand back when others do
whatever they want, whether or not it's against our interests, and
retreat to our holes in the ground. Poettering and company win. Fin.