著者: R. W. Rodolico
To: dng
題目: [DNG] Question on Devuan
I've been lurking for a while, and I'm getting close to a decision
point. I have been using Debian for well over a decade, but Jessie
appears to be too unstable. The two machines I installed it on had
issues bad enough that I reverted to Wheezy (reformat/reinstall).

Thing is, I mainly deal in servers. I really don't care that much what
workstation OS I use; Mac, Windows, Linux; so long as I can ssh to my
servers that is all I care about.

As was mentioned earlier, PHP can not be upgraded on Wheezy, so I have
been looking around for a replacement. I'm currently playing with
FreeBSD, and keeping an eye on Devuan.

Is Devuan mature enough to use on a server yet? Most of the work I see
is on what I consider workstation stuff; netman, etc... Does that mean
the server stuff is pretty stable already?

This is my livelyhood, so I'm definitely not wanting to jump into
anything. Almost lost a customer over the instability of Jessie.

Bottom line is, as a server (no GUI, no netman, no games, no Libre, just
a basic OS that allows me to install Apache/Postfix/MariaDB), do you
feel Devuan is ready for some serious consideration yet, or should I
wait another few months. Oh, we are heavily into virtualization using
Xen also.

BTW, while I can not contribute the skills necessary at this point, my
offer of a mirror still stands, whenever that becomes needed. Resources
I have, but my programming skills are so far out of date I'd be a
liability. But, resources I would be happy to share when/if you need them.

Rod
--
Rod Rodolico
Daily Data, Inc.