:: [DNG] Life's too short to reply to …
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Steve Litt
To: dng
Betreff: [DNG] Life's too short to reply to trolls
Hi all,

Here's a partial list of things I just don't do:

* I don't go into a Catholic church saying "Abortion isn't that bad."

* I don't go into an abortion rights group meeting saying "Bans on
abortion aren't that bad."

* I don't go into Linux venues saying "Linux is primitive compared to
the superior OS/x and Windows.

* I don't go into Mac or Windows venues extolling the virtues of Linux.

* I don't go onto the dng mailing lists saying "systemd-component isn't
that bad."

Because I have a life.

Those who have a life don't move into a group or venue and challenge
the group or venue's foundational principle, because it's much easier
to join a more fitting group or venue, or else make your own group or
venue. Those with a life have better things to do than try to start
conflict.

Those who don't have a life send 31 posts, all contradictory to the
group's foundational principle, in 1.5 days. I can't begin to speculate
what satisfaction such people derive from their activities, and the
arguments their activities spawn, but the result is all too clear: They
use up valuable energy that should be used to further the group's
mission. And with the help of those who reply to them, they create anger
that drives away the not-yet-committed.

They damage the group. Don't assist them by responding. Don't turn a
mole-hill into a mountain. Instead, do what I just did:

:0:
* From.*thetroll@???
* ^(To|Cc).*dng@???
/dev/null

Naturally, you can also use your email client's native
filters, if you prefer.

Let me ask you a couple questions:

* If a tree falls in a remote forest where no creature can hear, did it
really make a sound?

* If a troll trolls on dng, but everyone's filtered him out, did he
really troll at all? Or perhaps more to the point, did he cause any
damage?

In the past 1.5 days, a single troll and those who responded accounted
for 60 messages. All but the troll had the same opinion: We'd prefer
not to have any libsystemd dependencies. Only the troll disagreed. Do
we really owe the troll an explanation, once it becomes obvious he's
not looking for one: He's looking only to create conflict?

With trolls unheard, we can better get down to the not inconsiderable
business of bringing the Devuan sans-systemd OS to beta and then to
production status.

When it comes to trolls, my policy is this:

Killfile and move on!

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist