:: Re: [DNG] Local netman sources full…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: aitor_czr
To: KatolaZ, Edward Bartolo
CC: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Local netman sources fully restored.
Hi Katolaz,

On 12/19/2015 10:52 AM, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 08:09:39AM +0100, Edward Bartolo wrote:
>> >Hi All,
>> >
>> >Finally, I fully restored my local netman sources from a full system
>> >backup I made on the 8th December 2015. Updating was a matter of only
>> >deleting the netman/debian directory and using "git pull".
>> >
>> >My goal was always to use the least invasive of methods to recover my
>> >sources. This was why I was very cautious about using any git command
>> >that would impact the uploaded sources.
>> >
>> >This experience is shouting at me to always keep a backup whenever I git push.
>> >
> Please allow me tpo disagree with your statement. This experience is
> shouting at you to always read the documentation of a software before
> using it. There is no need at all to make a backup whenever you git
> push something, and your fear about git pull is just due to not being
> confident enough in using git, or not having understood well how git
> works. There is no shame in "not knowing" or "not underdtanding". Both
> are just normal states, very common in all human beings, and can be
> cured by studying.
>
> There are ways in git to recover from almost any damage you can ever
> think of making to your repository, without the need to make a backup
> before every single pull. The "magic" recipes are in the git manual,
> and some bits of that knowledge have been gently offered to you in
> this ML. Books are made to be read, suggestions to be pondered, tips
> to be tried.
>
> HND
>
> KatolaZ

I agree, but tags are usefull.

Here you are an example with linux-libre:

$ git clone https://gitlab.com/aitor_cz/linux-libre.git
Cloning into 'linux-libre'...
remote: Counting objects: 51541, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (51541/51541), 145.84 MiB | 2.46 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (4325/4325), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
Checking out files: 100% (47305/47305), done.

$ cd linux-libre

$ git checkout gbp-master/3.16.7-gnu-6
Note: checking out 'gbp-master/3.16.7-gnu-6'.

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.

If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:

git checkout -b new_branch_name

HEAD is now at c17308d... modified: debian/changelog

$ ls
arch     CREDITS  Documentation  fs       ipc      kernel Makefile
README          scripts   tools
block    crypto   drivers        include  Kbuild   lib mm
REPORTING-BUGS  security  usr
COPYING  debian   firmware       init     Kconfig  MAINTAINERS net
samples         sound     virt

$ git status
HEAD detached at gbp-master/3.16.7-gnu-6
nothing to commit, working directory clean

We have a *detached* HEAD, and we can't work in this stage. Let's give a
name to the branch:

$ git checkout -b the_name_of_the_branch

$ git status
On branch the_name_of_the_branch
nothing to commit, working directory clean

HTH,

Aitor.