:: Re: [DNG] top posting, was: Re: De…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Arnt Gulbrandsen
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] top posting, was: Re: Debianising my uploaded version of netman.
Didier Kryn writes:
> Le 13/12/2015 19:26, Arnt Gulbrandsen a écrit :
>> 2) that people generally remember what a thread is about when
>> based on the subject
>
>     Arnt, let's be consistent. You assume the author doesn't
> expect the reader to need the citation. This means that the
> citation is left only because the author is too lazzy to cut it.

Not at all. And please don't use "you" in that manner; as you can see I
quote like an old unix fart (at least when I'm using a device with a
keyboard).

The necessary assumption is that the reader is LIKELY to remember the
context from the subject field. Or put differently, top-posting optimises
for the case where the reader SELDOM needs to read the quoted matter, but
not NEVER.

If the author assumes that the reader is certain to remember the context,
then not quoting is appropriate.

>     Hence top-post, should be replaced by no citation at all.
> And when citation is usefull, please use bottom-post.

I do. And I think Katolaz is disingenious and intellecually lazy in his
arguments against top-posting.

Arnt