:: Re: [DNG] top posting, was: Re: De…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Simon Hobson
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng@lists.dyne.org
Aihe: Re: [DNG] top posting, was: Re: Debianising my uploaded version of netman.
shraptor <shraptor@???> wrote:

> I must admit I am really clueless to what is considered good practice in mailing-lists.

> I am not rude on purpose but I truly don't know mailing-list style of interaction.
> Should I delete this or keep this? Write here or write there?

In "days of old" it was accepted netiquette that when replying to an email, you would quote enough of the original text to give the context for what you are writing, and then add your reply after the question/statement. The very act of trimming the quoted material is, IMO, useful in itself in that it makes the writer think about what is and isn't important to set the context - sometimes that may just a one liner, sometimes it may need selected bits from several pervious quotes.

Then along came Microsoft and inflicted Outlook on the world. This defaulted to quoting the entire message and leaving the cursor at the top of the window ready to type. This was at a time when the internet as a mass communication tool was taking off, and so there was a mass of new users coming on-line who had a tool that defaulted to "doing it badly" (like a lot of stuff from Microsoft).

At least Outlook doesn't actively stop you doing it right - unlike certain other systems (Gmail has been mentioned). "The tool I use doesn't allow ..." is (IMO) a rather poor excuse when there is no compulsion whatsoever to use a specific tool. Even Gmail supports using an IMAP client so if their web client doesn't work properly, you can still use Gmail while doing things right. Complaining loudly and often to Google that their stuff is broken would also be a good idea - but I fear the few of us who care enough to say anything are just noise in the background and will be ignored no matter what we say.

Of course, because all the excess quoted material is off the bottom of the screen, it's out of sight and out of mind - so doesn't get trimmed. Hence when you see emails that, after a few rounds, can get to be hundreds of lines long (complete with dozens of quoted signatures) for a one line reply.

IMO the reason for not top posting is summed up thus (I didn't write it) :