:: [DNG] top posting, was: Re: Debia…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Gregory Nowak
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Παλιά Θέματα: Re: [DNG] Debianising my uploaded version of netman.
Αντικείμενο: [DNG] top posting, was: Re: Debianising my uploaded version of netman.
On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 07:26:50PM +0100, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> I think, it is irritating to first having to scroll down text others
> have written rather than the text the latest poster has written. If
> the latest poster wants his readers to refer to ealier posts, he can
> state that in his reply.

I have to throw in my $0.01 here. First, like Edward, I too prefer top
posting. I have noticed also that top posting seems to be an
overwhelming convention on blindness-related lists. I have seen
instances of bottom posters getting flamed on a blindness-related list
for doing so.

The other opinions stated are also good ones. I don't mind bottom
posting as long as the original message is are trimmed down to
relevant context. I personally can't stand it if we have a message
like:
person a wrote
person b wrote
person c wrote
followed by the entire thread from start to finish at the very
bottom. What makes this even worse I think, is if there are new
comments interspersed within that entire long thread. This might
make things easier for those who prefer to read the newest message in the
thread, and skip the rest. On the other hand, there is no guarantee
that the latest message will in fact contain the entire thread. That
means that if a thread is interesting, one needs to read the entire
thread to make sure one didn't miss anything that might be
interesting. Ok, rant over.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net