:: Re: [DNG] Debianising my uploaded v…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Temas nuevos: [DNG] gitfalls (was: Debianising my uploaded version of netman.)
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Debianising my uploaded version of netman.
On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 19:52:51 +0000
Rainer Weikusat <rainerweikusat@???> wrote:

> Edward Bartolo <edbarx@???> writes:
> > I applied the patch suggested yesterday by Rainer *manually* by
> > editing files. I am lost here and I am hesitant to mess with git as
> > it can easily damage my sources.
>
> While I have some "areas of disagreement" with git, it isn't that
> bad.

If you know it well, and if everyone else knows it well. I had some Git
problems on my first attempt to create the Devuan Dmenu documentation,
resulting in hours of rework.

> In particular, you can always use it to restore something to a
> prior state.

If you know how.

> For the given problem, you could start with creating a
> branch for "debianization changes " and run dh_make on the branch and
> do any other ".deb-changes" there.

But how would the average person know this?

GIT is everywhere, now. I need to stop being that guy who looks up a
few commands and dabbles with GIT, and start being a GIT expert. If a
local community college gave a semester GIT course, that would be what
I need. Failing that, a copy of "GIT For Dummies" would suffice, except
that there's no such book (and bozos unaware of trademark law label
their little tutorials as "GIT For Dummies", making things even more
difficult).

Anyone know a good source of GIT learning that's self-discoverable and
has a reasonable learning curve from know-nothing to expert?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist