:: Re: [DNG] Problems with devuan alph…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Joel Roth
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Problems with devuan alpha2 installer
On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 02:59:12PM +1300, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> Hi Joel

> On 29/11/15 13:16, Joel Roth wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After recently installing the i386 flavor of devuan,
> > I tried again with the amd64 version.
> >
> > This time I encountered problems.
> >
> > First, I managed to clobber the partition table.
> > At one point the installer asked me if this was
> > a GPT partition table. I wasn't sure and said yes.
> > Then at some point the partition table was overwritten.
> >
> That's interesting. Are you sure that the partition table hasn't ever
> been gpt (perhaps a left over from a previous install or a Window 7 pro
> installation)?

It was a notebook with Windows 7 installed. I shrunk the
partition. Now Windows 7 is gone, leaving more space on
my precious SDD :-)

> > That may have been a mistake on my part, but I think
> > it's worth noting that this is the first time
> > in 20 years that the debian installer has led to
> > this level of destruction.
>
> I've done a lot of debian and devuan installs, and the time that
> question appears is if you select the disk itself rather then the
> partitions, in which case you are then prompted what type of partition
> table to use, and it's good that it should default to gpt. So I do
> think you may have made a mistake there.

There were some diagnostics given: this looks like GPT and
that looks like GPT, is this a GPT partition table?

> > After I repaired the disk and booted the installer, the
> > install aborted with a package dependency problem that I
> > recall involved systemd, udev and dbus. Apt was looking for
> > a particular package version, and the version number of the
> > available package had a -devuan suffix that apt rejected.
>
> What suite did you select jessie (stable), ascii (testing), or ceres
> (unstable)?

> There is a currently known issue with ascii and ceres regarding the
> version of dbus. I am in the process of resolving that issue at the
> moment.

Yes, the second time I did the install I went with testing.

> You didn't happen to keep the logs? They are contained in
> /var/log/installer. That would be extremely helpful.

Sorry, no. The installer informed me that some
errors appear in /var/log/syslog. Perhaps it should
also mention /var/log/installer.

> > I ended up installing stock Jessie, which I will later
> > convert to devuan.
>
> That is sad to hear of your experience, I hope we can do better.

Thanks. We all know (or should know) that installing
operating systems is a perilous process.

> > I wonder if others have encountered this issue, and
> > whether this is the appropriate forum for reporting it.
>
> This is one forum to report it. If you could raise an issue here:
> https://git.devuan.org/devuan-infrastructure/Installer_Feedback/issues

Sounds like you are already onto the problem. I could
report, but as you see, have few technical details.

> (This is a newly created space for providing feedback where the
> installer maintainers will be notified and able to respond. You will be
> required to register for git.devuan.org tho)...

Thanks for your response, and contributions to Devuan!

--
Joel Roth