:: Re: [DNG] Problems with devuan alph…
Góra strony
Autor: Daniel Reurich
Dla: Joel Roth, dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] Problems with devuan alpha2 installer
Hi Joel

On 29/11/15 13:16, Joel Roth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After recently installing the i386 flavor of devuan,
> I tried again with the amd64 version.
>
> This time I encountered problems.
>
> First, I managed to clobber the partition table.
> At one point the installer asked me if this was
> a GPT partition table. I wasn't sure and said yes.
> Then at some point the partition table was overwritten.

That's interesting. Are you sure that the partition table hasn't ever
been gpt (perhaps a left over from a previous install or a Window 7 pro
installation)?

> That may have been a mistake on my part, but I think
> it's worth noting that this is the first time
> in 20 years that the debian installer has led to
> this level of destruction.

I've done a lot of debian and devuan installs, and the time that
question appears is if you select the disk itself rather then the
partitions, in which case you are then prompted what type of partition
table to use, and it's good that it should default to gpt. So I do
think you may have made a mistake there.

> After I repaired the disk and booted the installer, the
> install aborted with a package dependency problem that I
> recall involved systemd, udev and dbus. Apt was looking for
> a particular package version, and the version number of the
> available package had a -devuan suffix that apt rejected.

What suite did you select jessie (stable), ascii (testing), or ceres
(unstable)?

There is a currently known issue with ascii and ceres regarding the
version of dbus. I am in the process of resolving that issue at the
moment.

You didn't happen to keep the logs? They are contained in
/var/log/installer. That would be extremely helpful.

> I ended up installing stock Jessie, which I will later
> convert to devuan.

That is sad to hear of your experience, I hope we can do better.

> I wonder if others have encountered this issue, and
> whether this is the appropriate forum for reporting it.

This is one forum to report it. If you could raise an issue here:
https://git.devuan.org/devuan-infrastructure/Installer_Feedback/issues

(This is a newly created space for providing feedback where the
installer maintainers will be notified and able to respond. You will be
required to register for git.devuan.org tho)...

Kind regards,
    Daniel

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.