Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] lightweight graphics toolkits (wasExperiencingwithGtkBuilder)
Le 28/11/2015 07:23, Mitt Green a écrit :
> By "outdated" I actually mean the technology behind.
> It can be lightweight but still supports less features
> than gtk+2 (which is by the way easy as well).
> I can't really imagine something written with
> Motif or XForms these days while curses is quite
> popular. While XForms is alive I can add that CDE is
> alive too, but who still uses it. I mean, we have
> pretty much everything written on gtk+3
> (with some gtk+2 exceptions that are becoming
> rare), qt and curses.
>
> And why actually there is no package for it in repository?
> While we have around 30,000 apps (and 50,000 binaries)
> in Sid, I think there is a place for both XForms and CDE,
> assuming they are both fully open-sourced now.
> Maybe they will be a bit more popular then.

     Mitt,

     FYI, FLTK and Xforms are  free software and *are* in Debian's main
repository - search for libfltk and libforms. I mentioned the package
names in my previous mail.

     There are several ways to sort all the various graphical toolkits;
one of them is the category of uses. Gtk and Qt are meant for
applications who target the general public, which have to be shiny and
stylish to be adopted. Xforms clearly does not belong to this category,
but it seems rather popular amongst people developping apps for a
professional use and favouring easy and fast development over look and
style. It suffices to look at the screenshots on the official web site
of Xforms to see that.

     I bet the features Xforms is missing are only related to style,
because it has an amazing menagerie of buttons, cursors, selectors,
plots and text windows. I speak for Xforms because I know it, but it's
certainly true also for FLTK.

     Didier