:: Re: [DNG] alternative to raspbian w…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Simon Hobson
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] alternative to raspbian without systemd
Gregory Nowak <greg@???> wrote:

> From what I read, the 2nd generation B has one 10/100 ethernet port
> which is a network card on one of the pi's usb ports. Besides that, it
> does have four usb ports, and you can hook up hubs to those as well of
> course.

That is correct - one 10/100 ethernet which is a usb-ethernet adapter which from memory is part of one usb hub chip. That's the other thing to bear in mind - it only has one USB port on the system chip, and that's split out by a hub to provide the 4 external ports (and the ethernet) the user sees.
So for I/O intensive applications it's not the best option.

Also consider the other issue, it's using an SD card for storage. This isn't ideal in an environment generating lots of disk I/O (such as logging from BIND and all the other system logs). AFAIK SD cards don't have wear levelling etc.

I'm in a similar position to the OP - until I get the house to the point where I can get all the "IT stuff" set up properly, I won't have a server I can tack a router VM into.