著者: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] Experiencing with GtkBuilder
On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 03:09:34PM +0000, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> Yes, of course, C structures can be declared that way, but the fact
> remains that the contents of the ancestor's structure are not merged
> into the heir. This means, to access a member N ancestors deep, one
> has to specify all of them in the correct order. The purpose of
> inheritance is to avoid this requirement and to make objects behave in
> a polymorphic way without actually specifying or assigning any virtual
> methods used.

There is a well-known hack in C wheereby you rely on C allocating fields
of structures independently of later fields.

Thus with
struct foo{char c, int d, float e,}
and
struct bar{char c, int d,}

(forgive me if I need semicolons here; I've used too many languages in
the alst year to remember the surface syntax)

you can rely on c and d having the same offsets in both structures, and
so you can happily cast between pointers to foo and bar as long as you
don't mess with e.

And, of course, you can have a pointer to a table of methods as the
first entry in all of these structures.

The very first versions of C++ were essentially just syntactic sugar for
this convention. That is, of course, before it metastatised like
systemd.

-- hendrik