:: Re: [DNG] An abrupt end to Debian L…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Miles Fidelman
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] An abrupt end to Debian Live CD version?

On 11/12/15 1:54 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:57:19 +0300
> Mitt Green <mitt_green@???> wrote:
>
>> ‎I wonder how many people that use Debian for quite long time (since
>> 90s or the beginning of this millennium) really like systemd, GNOME3
>> and all these controversial things. I haven't met any. And even more,
>> most "greybeards" that I've seen oppose it. Seems like they don't have
>> a right to vote.
> :s/greybeards/experienced people having a clue/
>
> I'm not saying the following in anger. I'm simply saying it so we don't
> accidentally shoot ourselves in the foot...
>
> "Greybeards" and "neckbeards" are characterizations whose connotation
> is deliberately "people stuck in their ways, afraid of change, no
> longer relevant, no longer innovating." This has *especially* come to
> the forefront during the systemd foolishness.
>
> Additionally, "greybeards" and "neckbeards" pretty much literally mean
> "old people", and give credence to the belief that old people can't
> code, can't tech, should be put out to pasture. It's this very belief
> that motivates organizations to refuse to hire those over 50,
> regardless of past or current accomplishments, going so far as to pay a
> premium to offshore rent-a-programmers rather than snagging one of the
> glut of skilled over 50 technologists.

Hey... I resemble that remark. I'm a greybeard and proud of it. In my
neck of the woods (networking) it's a mark of distinction, and a
credential that's jealously guarded. (I'm also 61, and just remember,
60 is the new 40. Never had a problem getting hired - as I say,
greybeard is a respected credential.)

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra