:: Re: [DNG] Detailed technical treati…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Simon Hobson
A: dng@lists.dyne.org
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Detailed technical treatise of systemd
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

>>> Why the hell did they invent suspend-to-disk?

>> I take it you don't like the idea ?

> No. I don't dislike the idea. I admit it is brillant.

I'm confused then - but that's not hard !

> This leads to the conclusion: boot time doesn't matter if you never shut down, but it matters if you do it often.

Yes and yes

> We might have reached this conclusion earlier :-)

Yes !

> but there also has been a discussion on the reality of the gain in boot time.

Yes, and the consensus seemed to be that for many workloads, on or both of the following are true :
1) The "services start time" is only part of the overall boot time, and shortening it by "a bit" won't make a huge difference.
2) Parallel starting services often won't make a huge difference to startup time, and in some (probably rare) cases may actually make it longer.

> Maybe you never shutdown, but some, like me, prefer to put their laptop back in a well-know state from time to time.

Indeed, I do reboot from time to time. Sometimes it's because I didn't keep an eye on battery state - it's getting towards the end of it's life and I can no longer rely on the "low battery warning, followed a while later by a forced sleep and suspend to disk" that happens with a healthy battery. More often it's to clear memory - something seems to have a leak, and I'm not that convinced OS X memory management is all that good.
But normally, I just use sleep mode.