:: Re: [DNG] A Devuan install CD (aito…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Scienceof Atomics
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] A Devuan install CD (aitor_czr)
aitor_czr wrote:
> What are you referring to exactly?

A purely personal goal that I'll describe briefly by way of illustrating
the spread of end-user interest.

I've just purchased a 13-DVD set of Debian Jessie, and also burnt myself a
copy of ExeGnuLinux, which combines Debian with the Trinity project,
aiming to keep alive the KDE 3.5 desktop:

http://exegnulinux.net/

EGL is planning a move to Devuan, which is how I found out about it, but
is presently in a halfway state. I now have a complete software suite that
should last indefinitely into the future, given two contingencies:

1. A move from 32-bit to a duplicate 64-bit DVD set when my ancient boxes
eventually fall over.

2. Occasional kernel upgrades and driver installs to accommodate new
hardware.

There are many who will view this not merely as conservative, but as a
case of rigor mortis. The thing is, I'm interested in USING the software
for creative and productive work, not just endlessly fiddling with
eye-candy and invisible technological "improvements". Apps that I use
include:

1. Electronic design: xcircuit, pcb, picprog, spice and others.
2. Music: hydrogen, audacious, audacity, denemo, rosegarden, sox, timidity
and others.
3. Image: gimp, blender, cinelerra and others.

Along with the usual libre-office, gnumeric, nedit, opera and the rest of
the daily round, most of these represent a large investment in time and
effort in order to achieve productive competence. The VERY LAST thing I
need is endless invisible changes to the underlying system that require me
to run flat out in order to stay in the same place. This is the main
reason I started with Linux more than a dozen years ago, and why I want it
to remain manageable by those with moderate technical skills.

The systemd crowd will end up as a cabal of High Priests owned and
controlled by the TransNational Corporations overseeing an OS consisting
of a few monster binary blobs that only they have the time and experience
to comprehend. The Micro$oft/SCO debacle of years past did not mark the
end of efforts at corporate take-over of Linux, merely a move to a more
subtle, longer-term agenda.