:: Re: [DNG] Quick start guide to upra…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Sam
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Quick start guide to uprading to Devuan and configuring minimalism

On 04/11/15 07:21, dev1fanboy@??? wrote:

> Quick start guide to uprading to Devuan and configuring
> minimalism.
>
> There are a lot of people talking about minimalism in Devuan and
> some may be wondering if they can upgrade to Devuan. The answer is
> yes, you can upgrade to Devuan right now and expect it to work
> with few if any problems in the stable branch - which is not yet
> announced stable but is clearly a lot better than alpha quality as
> you might have heard mentioned on devuan.org. I am currently
> putting in a little research before writing a more full guide to
> upgrading, installing and getting more minimalism out of Devuan.
> Hopefully I will be starting a wiki for all this info and more to
> go into in the near future, but for now I want to just put it out
> there for people trying to upgrade their current system or get
> more minimalism in their system.
>
> Let's get started.
>

> 1) Upgrading Debian to Devuan Stable (aka Jessie 1.0)
>
> You can upgrade to Devuan Jessie 1.0 from either Debian Wheezy or
> from Debian Jessie. For other branches you are on your own for
> now, and I suggest avoiding upgrades to Devuan testing (ascii) for
> now until after the official stable release. ...

Hello dev1fanboy, and everyone else.

This is just an F.Y.I. I'd like to let you know that I've just carried
out what so far appears to be a successful Debian -> Devuan
conversion. You prudently advised that the
upgrade/transformation/conversion should be from either Debian Wheezy
or Jessie, and that was for very good reason. However, my Debian
system was of the Stretch/Sid flavour:

/etc/debian_version
    stretch/sid

/proc/version
    Linux version 4.1.0-2-rt-amd64 (debian-kernel@???) (gcc
version 4.9.3 (Debian 4.9.3-3) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.1.6-1
(2015-08-23)

Alas, I am far too impatient, impetuous and imprudent to methodically
downgrade my system to the appropriate level before I attempted such a
foolish thing, so I proceeded regardless. I even went so far as to
configure minimalism in the system as you suggested, and that almost
went off without a hitch. I say almost, because in the process my
nvidia graphics driver and kernel module were trashed. But reinstating
those was in principle easy owing to the brilliant SGFXI script,
however I did need to re-boot (sorry KatolaZ) into a non-real-time
pre-emptive kernel (i.e. non -rt-) otherwise the the sgfxi script
complained and barfed.

I can provide more detail if you're curious, but for the minute, I
just wanted to thank you for your exceptionally clear and prescriptive
instructions and perhaps to say that, if one is as brave or foolish as
I am, it is eminently possible to jump across to Devuan from Debian
Stretch/Sid by following your guide.

Cheers,
Sam

p.s. there is (at least?) one annoying relic of the old Debian system
lingering on my new Devuan OS, however: /etc/debian_version still says
stretch/sid, and /proc/version now says:

Linux version 3.16.0-4-amd64 (debian-kernel@???) (gcc
version 4.8.4 (Debian 4.8.4-1) ) #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u3
(2015-08-04)

Is my triumphant declaration of success premature?