:: Re: [DNG] Quick start guide to upra…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: KatolaZ
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dev1fanboy
Kopio: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] Quick start guide to uprading to Devuan and configuring minimalism
On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 09:37:40PM -0000, dev1fanboy@??? wrote:
> Of course it's not mandatory to reboot after an upgrade. There is a
> reason for instructing a reboot in this case - to avoid any
> potential problems with drivers that need to be reinstalled. This
> way they can test that their xserver will start as in the next
> step.

Sorry, I didn't mean to put you down. Yours is an excellent example of
how documentation should be written, and I have to thank you again for
your work. I probably used the wrong quote to reinforce a concept that
I think is fundamental: upgrades should not break a system, or prevent
it from working. If they do, then such an upgrade should not be
allowed altogether :)

Debian used to consider this very seriously, and in fact Debian
upgrades and dist-upgrades until wheezy were always smooth and clean
(if the user did not mess up with the repos), up to the point that you
could also avoid rebooting the machine and carry on. Then came the
systemd-fuzz and rebooting became (and was often suggested as) a
stupid solution to stupid problems caused by stupid software.

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]