Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Detailed technical treatise of systemd
Le 05/11/2015 20:05, Rainer Weikusat a écrit :
> Didier Kryn <kryn@???> writes:
>>> That's not a matter of "should": They have to. Even if it's believed
>>> they're just using local IPC[*].
>>      Yes, but let's consider that, maybe, some do not.
> Well, yes, "sometimes, software has bugs".

> [...]
>
>> Let me explicite it:
>>
>>      - Encourage authors to make outage-aware servers, which can then
>> be started in parallel;
> Worrying about 'starting servers in parallell' only makes sense if
> there's a real-world situation where this demonstrably makes a relevant
> difference. And I very much doubt that --- that's just another imaginary
> sugar-coating supposed to help selling systemd to people who are not
> expected to understand the issue. As someone recently wrote,

>     Point remains: most of the "less-tech-savy" users will probably
>     not even know what systemd is, or what the fuss is all
>     about. It's all been seamless, without hitch. The OS boots and
>     gives them a GUI, done.

> IOW, without the systemd marketing barrage, most people had never
> noticed it as there are no user-visible difference, IOW, it's not an
> improvement for them.
>
>>      - Provide a supervisor able to handle dependencies for the
>> non-outage-aware, with a trivial readyness notification method.
> Can I have one which recites the Lord's prayer backwards prior to
> starting a server if I'm more attracted to other superstitions?

     Reciting prayers backwards is for if you take daemons in the sense
of Devil, which is not the usual understanding. But you are free to do
so: just make it a dependency. Not sure you'll find a ready-made package
though; but we know you're able to do it yourself :-)

     Jokes apart, starting daemons in parallel is simply faster when you
have several cores. I do care booting fast.

     Didier