Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Detailed technical treatise of systemd
Le 02/11/2015 15:53, Rainer Weikusat a écrit :
> Didier Kryn <kryn@???> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>      Reporting readyness is admin-friendly, but this can be done
>> trivially, in the s6 fashion; it does not take a library to do.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_check_to_time_of_use
> https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/367.html
> https://isecpartners.github.io/news/research/2015/03/03/recognizing_preventing_toctou.html

> [and no end of other links]
>
> The problem can't be solved other than by processes which need to talk
> to other processes implementing a strategy for coping with transient
> outages.

     Rainer,

     I agree with you, and it was the first point in my mail, that the
servers should be able to cope with outages. However let's not be
extremists. The requirement should be put on widely used professional
servers, but I think there should remain the possibility to start quick
private hacks in a dependency-based fashion. In most cases this is going
to work, because Time_of_check_to_time_of_use issues do not arise all
the time. In this last case, signalling readyness is easily done by
writing a newline to standard output - no need for a library.

     Didier