:: Re: [DNG] Office pack
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Office pack
On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 15:50:27 +0000 (UTC)
Mitt Green <mitt_green@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm in search for an office pack. Considering Gnumeric as a decent
> spreadsheet application (even better than LibreOffice's one?),

I know very little about LibreOffice Writer, but can tell you I use
Gnumeric on an almost daily basis and it's great.

> can't be sure about word processor, speaking of numerous AbiWord
> issues.

Honestly, if you can run MSWord under Wine, you'll have a better word
processor than anything Linux has to offer. They all suck.

> LibreOffice has too many dependencies, as well as AbiWord, while I'd
> like to remain minimalistic.

Ah, a new piece of info: minimalistic is a priority. That changes
everything.

I'd advise you to split "word processing" into several things. Bluefish
is excellent and lightning fast for HTML creation, always assuming it's
not too dependency encumbered (I never checked). Sigil is the best ePub
editor, but it's the king of dependencies, so I can't recommend it at
this point. I'd recommend gaining a familiarity with TeX and LaTeX, and
perhaps some front ends for those. I've used LyX front end for 15 years,
but it's losing its mojo in my opinion, and horribly dependency
encumbered, so I might check out some of the others like ConText and
TexMaker. But if all else fails, plain, ordinary TeX is humanly simple
and small and stable and very easy to write. The only problem with
plain TeX is your font faces are very limited, and it's difficult to
nest styles.

> What do you use daily and would advise?

I use LibreOffice for quick and dirty short documents, and LibreOffice
Impress to make presentations. Gnumeric spreadsheets. For writing books
I *have* been using LyX, and have on occasion made ePubs with Sigil,
but long term I'm making my own long-document native format, called
Stylz, which hopefully will replace both LyX and Sigil for long
documents like books.

SteveT

Steve Litt
October 2015 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive