:: [DNG] socket activation
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Rainer Weikusat
A: dng
Asunto: [DNG] socket activation
The idea that all "server sockets" (loosely defined) ought to be created
by a single program during system boot which is then also necessarily
the single program which will ever start servers is based on such a
fundamental lack of understanding how a system whose state is comprised
of a set of independent, individually replacable and cooperating
processes is supposed to work and why this is a more powerful
abstraction than the much older "all of the infrastructure is its own
special-case" idea and such an absurd display of "creative terrorism"
("How can we abuse this to the max?") that I've really only ever
encountered one thing comparable with it: The 'genius garbage collection
algorithm" of ChickenScheme, based on the idea that "Hey, garbage
collection is really expensive so let's just keep allocating more memory
until the system ran out of completely and use that as trigger to do a
(now guaranteed to be really expensive) garbage collection cycle!".

To a 'Fedora Playstation' system, Linux is basically what BSD is to OS
X, "a TCP/IP stack we could freely download from the internet and a lot
of other weird code whose purpose we totally fail to understand ---
surely, this MUST all be terribly wrong!".

It beggars belief that megalomanic myopia of this degree is actually
considered to be a sign of "extreme farsightedness" ...