:: Re: [DNG] upgrade 16/10/2015 xorg f…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Rob
Aan: dng@lists.dyne.org
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] upgrade 16/10/2015 xorg fails to start [resolved]
Sent from [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.ch), encrypted email based in Switzerland.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: upgrade 16/10/2015 xorg fails to start
Local Time: October 16 2015 11:44 pm
UTC Time: October 16 2015 10:44 pm
From: Nuisance@???
To: dng@???

After upgrade tonight came out of Xorg to restart openbox.

I tried to start Xorg but it failed with "xf86OpenConsole cannot open /dev/tty0 ( no such file or directory)

/dev/tty0 was there so assumed permission problem. Temporarily added my user to tty group and tried again.

This time Xorg failed to start with "xf86OpenConsole cannot open Virtual Console 7 ( permisson denied.)

How to resolve?

Xorg.log below

Thanks

Rob

apt-listchanges 28/10/2015:

xorg-server (2:1.17.3-1) unstable; urgency=medium

The Xorg server is no longer setuid root by default. This change reduces the
risk of privilege escalation due to X server bugs, but has some side effects:

* it relies on logind and libpam-systemd
* it relies on a kernel video driver (so the userspace component doesn't
touch the hardware directly)
* it needs X to run on the virtual console (VT) it was started from
* it changes the location for storing the Xorg log from /var/log/ to
~/.local/share/xorg/

On systems where those are not available, the new xserver-xorg-legacy package
is needed to allow X to run with elevated privileges. See the
Xwrapper.config(5) manual page for configuration details.