Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Printing -- now a permissions problem
On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 08:11:51PM +0100, Rainer Weikusat wrote:

> Send_job is the name of the lprng function for sending a job to a remote
> print server. If you specifiy
>
> 515@172.25.1.122
>
> as printer, it will try to connect to port 515 on 172.25.1.122 (default
> port) and then try to spool the job to printer 515, cf
>
> ,----
> | The rm (remote machine or host) and rp or lp printer printcap options
> | are used to specify the remote host and printer to be used. These values
> | can be extracted from a printcap entry, or supplied in the following
> | manner.
> |
> |     If the user program is invoked with -Pxxx argument, then the lp
> |     option is assigned the value xxx.
> |
> |     If no explicit value is specified and the PRINTER environment
> |     variable has value xxx, then the lp option is assigned value xxx.
> |
> |     If lp has a value of the form rp@rm or rp@rm%port, then the rp, rm,
> |     and lpd_port options are assigned the indicated values.
> |
> |     If rm or rp does not have a value, then they are assigned the
> |     default_host (usually localhost) and default_printer (usually lp)
> |     option values.
> |
> |     A connection is made to lpd_port on host rm and the file transfer or
> |     command is sent as specified in RFC1179.
> `----
> http://www.brunel.ac.uk/~tony/LPRng/LPRng-HOWTO-5.html#rp

Now that's useful documentation. Thank you. I wish I had found it
earlier. So the lp should be

something@172.25.1.122

or equivalently,

something@172.25.1.122:515

and I'll have to find the printer documentation to find out how it
refers to itself; that will be what I specify as 'something'.

-- hendrik