:: Re: [unSYSTEM] Restarting Darkwalle…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Adam Gibson
À: System undo crew
Sujet: Re: [unSYSTEM] Restarting Darkwallet funding?
On 10/18/2015 08:09 PM, snakecharmr wrote:> Late to the party, I know,
but why would someone choose DW over JoinMarket?

One of the joinmarket devs here: they're pretty different things
(DW/JM) although of course there's a meaningful overlap in coinjoin.

JM is not (yet) ready for a non-tech user. If you're happy with
working on the command line you can use it, but not really otherwise.
Our hope is that it will be integrated into wallets.

The main point about JM is solving the coordination problem. Example:
yesterday I paid for my hosting using a 5 party coinjoin. After I had
the receiving address from bitpay, it took about 20 seconds for me to
get the other 4 anonymous parties to send over the signatures and then
send the transaction.

There are ~50 participants available to join right now (see
joinmarket.io for example) and probably ~ 100 such transactions going
on every day, maybe a lot more, but it's very difficult to get a good
estimate (you'd have to do a detailed blockchain scan). Just
"ballpark" based on what I see my own bot doing.

But DW is (or was) intended to be an actual wallet, something people
could use, with decent functionality and a GUI. IIRC it also had extra
features like stealth addresses, right? I actually never got round to
even installing it. At one point I was waiting for a Firefox version.

TLDR Dark wallet is a wallet (clue is in the name), join market is a
tool, and a market, for large scale trustless mixing / coinjoin. It
has a wallet built in, but not a user friendly one. Could change in
the future, although most likely a plugin for another wallet.

Happy to answer any questions on JM if it comes up.
Adam