:: Re: [DNG] Purpose of an OS: was net…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Didier Kryn
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] Purpose of an OS: was network device naming
Le 03/10/2015 09:49, Simon Hobson a écrit :
> Lets face it - there is no "right" answer to this other than a system with enough intelligence to read the user/admin's mind and work out what they intend to happen - and I think we're a bit off that yet !
> Looking back, I think I've "moved" something at least as often as I've replaced it with a different something in the same location - probably more in fact.

     This is exactly the point. But let's consider which devices are a
concern.

     As was remarked already, disks are no longer a problem since
partitions are uniquely identified, so that nobody cares of a random
device name. And even symlinks are created in /media, named after the
labels of the partitions.

     I am not sure numbering wifi interfaces (who uses more than one?)
is a problem; which matters is the station they connect to.

     Ethernet interfaces are maybe the only issue, which explains why
distros have implemented a solution by the means of udev rules. The way
it is implemented is secure: every new ethernet device is given a new
device name (ethX) and no entry is created in /etc/network/interfaces;
therefore the interface isn't connected without an action of the admin.
If it is a replacement, then the admin should just edit the MAC address
in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. Not a big deal, compared
to replacing the hardware.

     The new policy Poettering et al are enforcing means to relieve the
admin from this little and rare work, at the cost of a nightmare for all
the rest.

     Didier